» Welcome Guest :: Log In :: New Posts

SiNNeRz
a420_b_smokin_m - a*Fire*within - amoon - Byte_Me - Diabolical - DruidMagik - Dusk - FEAR_THE_DEMON - Fire)\/(an - Foxhound - GurL - Guns - KidKill - )\/(artin - Masked Avenger! - m3d!c@t!0n - Mercinary - Oberon - Phython - Queen_B - Q-Ball - rAveN - rOxxx - Runnin - Slatts - Straycat - the_Kleaner - TokZik - Trodger - TwistyTank - WiLdEr - Wolverine - VA - Vicious - Xofer - Ye@_Right - Ylran ... and growing!
1v1 Server: .......................
20 player Server: 108.178.44.218:7778

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: dual nics mobo..., in response to slatts question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wilder Offline
God Like

Group: Super Administrators
Posted: June 16 2005,19:09

4 G's.. must be that way over priced Intel sh!t. :p

hey Wilder you ever use Dual Lan?
my new board.....

i am down to two choices... what do you think??

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....CatId=0

OR This Mofo...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....CatId=0

I am kinda leaning on the Asus side as the board layout will help with ram cooling
i have ram coolers.. but hot air rises.... and i can't figure how too jam any fans on the Lan board..no matter how many times i am told to stop slobbering all over it... :p

Nope... No need to.  And you dont want to unless you want to be run a software router.  It's never a good idea to plug both Nics on the same computer to the same subnetwork.  BAD BAD BAD.

But you can connect 1 to one network (LAN) and 1 to the other (WAN).

If you use them SOHO firewall/routers, you really dont need both.  Just pick one.  Better yet read the controllers on them, and see which one is better quality.  Pick the one thats better.  :)

--------------

AKA ~SyN~AmEn -- CTF
Profile PM WEB ICQ AOL MSN YIM 
wilder Offline
God Like

Posted: June 16 2005,19:19

hmmm depends if you're going to go SLI or not.

SLI sucks... well not really... but there's a reason why it's stupid for certain ppl... same as the new ATI crossfire.... (which if you wait until July, ATI will release crossfire... their answer to nvidia's SLI).

Say you use SLI, cus you cant afford the 6800 ULTRA... ($499USD), or the 6800 GT ($399USD)...

so you get the 6600GT ($199USD) now, so you can get another 6600GT later ($398USD total)... following me?  The sum of 2x 6600GT is about 6800GT... but not quite... 6800GT is still a bit faster in most areas.  So 2x6600GT != 1x6800GT.

the 6800GT is way better in features as well... if you had $400, but dont want to spend $800... go with a single card configuration with either the 6800GT or Ultra. you get better overall performance.

SLI only works with games that support it as well.  If the games do not support it... no 2x performance.

NOW... if you had money to spare and you want SLI... now thats what i'm talking about.  Nvidia's fastest card is 6800ULTRA and soon to be 7800 GTX.  for about $499.  This beats the 2x 6600GT.   Since it's already on top, the only way to go faster is to SLI 2 6800 Ultras!

So in my opinion SLI'ing two 6600GT is stupid when you can get 1 6800GT or Ultra.  I rather do it right and SLI either the 6800GT or the Ultra; or not at all if I dont have the $$$.  I think it's a waste of $$$ to SLI any other cards when there's already a single card 2x as fast as those cheapos.

So if you're not going to SLI 2 6800GTs or Ultra... you dont need SLI... That opens your world to more mobo options, and if you had the budge for $400 on a vid card... go for the 6800GT.  or X800XL, whichever rocks your board.

BTW, the X800XT AIW cost about the same as the 6800GT... and it's as fast as the 6800 Ultras.  And price should be expecting to drop soon... the new GFX cards are on their way out!

rumor said, nvidia 7800 series (G70) is due end of June.  around June 22nd.  ATI r520 or the X900 series is a month later in July 21st...

--------------

AKA ~SyN~AmEn -- CTF
wilder Offline
God Like

Posted: June 16 2005,19:24

I kinda like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....Id=1772

(for SLI using nvidia)

or

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....Id=1772

for single GPU...

Another thing about SLI is...

in order to SLI 2 GPUs... they have to be of the same vendor, and hardware and model... as well as bios and firmware.

You cannot SLI different cards, and even simialar spec cards from 2 different manufacturers.  Like a 6800GT from PNY and a 6800GT from BFG.

So in order for it to work right, you have to buy 2 of the same... and from about the same batch.  like 2 6800 GT from PNY at the same time.

If you do buy one 1 now.. when you buy the second one later, you better buy it from PNY as well... and make sure it's the same model, then confirm the bios and firmware are the same.  Otherwise it wont work.  They have to be 99.9999% identical cards minus different serial numbers.  

So when you think of it... whats your chances of finding the identical card 1 yr from now when you want to upgrade from 1card to 2 card???

Better buy form a well known brand that wont go out of business in 1 yr.  :)

Edited by wilder on June 16 2005,19:29

--------------

AKA ~SyN~AmEn -- CTF
slatts Offline
Overlord

Posted: June 16 2005,21:24

THANKS for the info... will look into it. wasn't really an Abit fan...
but will investagate, i am not going to spend this type of cash again for a couple of years. ;)

I had a change of Heart....AGAIN..... just picked up this puppy today..... :D

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....oMapp=0

http://www.831pc.com/as1.jpg

the pics really do no justice.... you got to touch the demo at the store....

Edited by slatts on June 16 2005,21:25

--------------
Profile PM MSN 
wilder Offline
God Like

Posted: June 17 2005,21:15

ugh... !!!! you're one of those!  walk in to store see a demo... dont think twice... buy now, regret later types!  lmao!!!

My roomate and neighbor is like that.

as for my taste... I'm not into flashy cases no more... they look cool on the store... and even for my friends... i just dont think I'll buy one for myself just yet.  Not that I dont think their cool.   Just feels too old to have one.

Right now, I've been eying this case:

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/pcv1200b.html

for about 1 year now.  :)  I still havent bought it.  Well I was waiting for it to drop to $150.  :(

It's 100% aluminum - brushed metal look from the sides... beautiful.  Some ppl also cut a side window to it and add lights.  I'm not.  It's also rated pretty good for air-cooling and overclocking.

I'll even go for this case again:
http://www.directron.com/tact01ek.html

I already have it... it's an awesome case still!  beautiful as hell.  But for my next pc... i want to to be unique.  :)

For brands... I'm aint no fan for any particular brands... but I'll buy:

abit
msi
asus
gigabyte

I owned them... never had any big issues with any of them.  But I also research them before I buy and read reviews and features.  Because sometimes without researching you can buy *the* bad egg from any brand.

The abit fatal1ty has some really nice unique features to it, not found on any other brands... such as io fans, and ram fans.  Very nice gaming mobo.  Dont let it pass you, atleast not without looking at it first and reading about it first.

*IF* I were to buy a puter now... that would be the the one on top of my list.  

I'm saving my pennies for the dual core cpus, and Geforce7800GTX or ATI X900XTPE.

Edited by wilder on June 17 2005,21:25

--------------

AKA ~SyN~AmEn -- CTF
4 replies since June 16 2005,19:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Quick Reply: dual nics mobo...
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Enable your signature?
Enable emoticons?
Track this topic?