» Welcome Guest :: Log In :: New Posts

SiNNeRz
a420_b_smokin_m - a*Fire*within - amoon - Byte_Me - Diabolical - DruidMagik - Dusk - FEAR_THE_DEMON - Fire)\/(an - Foxhound - GurL - Guns - KidKill - )\/(artin - Masked Avenger! - m3d!c@t!0n - Mercinary - Oberon - Phython - Queen_B - Q-Ball - rAveN - rOxxx - Runnin - Slatts - Straycat - the_Kleaner - TokZik - Trodger - TwistyTank - WiLdEr - Wolverine - VA - Vicious - Xofer - Ye@_Right - Ylran ... and growing!
1v1 Server: .......................
20 player Server: 108.178.44.218:7778

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: So i broke my promise...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wilder Offline
SiNFeCted

Group: Super Administrators
Posted: Sep. 12 2008,09:00

being that i build a pc back in 2005 and spent about $1000 on it (not including the cost savings of re-using a pc case, psu, harddrives)... THEN never even touched it... i felt like i wasted $1000.  So i told myself never build a pc again... until i know i have some time (atleast couple sessions a month) to play with it (which i didnt even have).  I didnt even have a  chance to touch my game consoles (Wii, PS3, X360,etc).

well... my friend was able to hook me up with a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 for $235USD + shipping!  This is a MSRP of over $1200USD!  so i bite, and broke my promise a bit.  Was a bit outdated in whats out there as far as mobo, but i did a little bit research and wanted to stay away from Intel chipsets and go with nvidia nforce (i felt the onboard RAID for SATA was better; from experience with GigaByte and ASUS for my P-D3.2GHZcore, and Core2Quad6600) so i went with (not surprising) MSI again specifically P7N Platinum. Could have gone with Diamond with built-in soundblaster, but i had a better sound card, and this way i save $100.  so far I've only spent $345USD for the cpu and mobo!  Which is extremely cheap for practically the top of the line out there today (except for mobo -- but i dont plan on overclocking so it's do-able).

thats all I got so far... i will prolly re-use the psu, ram, video card... but am very tempted to put 8GB on this baby, a 700Watt PSU, and new Video card (ATI HD 4870 X2).

We'll see... i havent even put this together... i might just doit first with what i already have to test for DOA.

heheheehe ...
Profile PM 
slatts Offline
Overlord

Posted: Sep. 12 2008,09:31

Quote (wilder @ Sep. 12 2008,10:00)
being that i build a pc back in 2005 and spent about $1000 on it (not including the cost savings of re-using a pc case, psu, harddrives)... THEN never even touched it... i felt like i wasted $1000.  So i told myself never build a pc again... until i know i have some time (atleast couple sessions a month) to play with it (which i didnt even have).  I didnt even have a  chance to touch my game consoles (Wii, PS3, X360,etc).

well... my friend was able to hook me up with a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 for $235USD + shipping!  This is a MSRP of over $1200USD!  so i bite, and broke my promise a bit.  Was a bit outdated in whats out there as far as mobo, but i did a little bit research and wanted to stay away from Intel chipsets and go with nvidia nforce (i felt the onboard RAID for SATA was better; from experience with GigaByte and ASUS for my P-D3.2GHZcore, and Core2Quad6600) so i went with (not surprising) MSI again specifically P7N Platinum. Could have gone with Diamond with built-in soundblaster, but i had a better sound card, and this way i save $100.  so far I've only spent $345USD for the cpu and mobo!  Which is extremely cheap for practically the top of the line out there today (except for mobo -- but i dont plan on overclocking so it's do-able).

thats all I got so far... i will prolly re-use the psu, ram, video card... but am very tempted to put 8GB on this baby, a 700Watt PSU, and new Video card (ATI HD 4870 X2).

We'll see... i havent even put this together... i might just doit first with what i already have to test for DOA.

heheheehe ...

there is your prob.... get rid of the game consoles....
:laugh:

--------------
Profile PM MSN 
wilder Offline
SiNFeCted

Posted: Sep. 12 2008,15:46

dont see how that would help????  i havent been playing much on the consoles either!
Profile PM 
slatts Offline
Overlord

Posted: Sep. 12 2008,16:09

Quote (wilder @ Sep. 12 2008,16:46)
dont see how that would help????  i havent been playing much on the consoles either!

:laugh: @U...lol

if you didnt spend that money on consoles... you could have put into PC... dont forget the games.... what is tied up into them so far??

--------------
Profile PM MSN 
slatts Offline
Overlord

Posted: Sep. 12 2008,16:12

btw i have Xbox orig for kids... 10 game for $40.00
system was free... and most games on ebay .99 to $15.00

--------------
Profile PM MSN 
Byte_mE Offline
senile and cranky old fart

Posted: Sep. 13 2008,07:43

Quote (wilder @ Sep. 12 2008,12:00)

heheheehe ...

what u gonna do with the old mb and cpu?
what is it? i need an upgrade...

--------------

~SiN~Byte_mE's First Law of Opposition
Profile PM WEB ICQ AOL MSN 
wilder Offline
SiNFeCted

Posted: Sep. 13 2008,09:36

Quote (slatts @ Sep. 12 2008,10:09)
Quote (wilder @ Sep. 12 2008,16:46)

:laugh: @U...lol

if you didnt spend that money on consoles... you could have put into PC... dont forget the games.... what is tied up into them so far??

I've never said i didnt have money to build a new system... i said i made a promise not to waste money building a high end system and then never power it on.

Actually i've cut down on gaming spending a lot... by usually waiting for the games to hit the bargain section like 'platinum hits' or 'greatest hits' before i buy 'em... and only when i have time to play them.  Unless it's a title i know i am going to play on release date... or they really convince me it's a limited edition.  

Hmmm speaking of limited editions... it sounds like a marketing ploy these days rather than the real thing.  XBOX360 limited halo edition anyone?  They have more of these that number of consoles!  I wont believe anything from from MS again when they say "limited".

Just to give you an idea on how much free time i got... I still haven't *open* my boxes with the mobo and cpu!  7 years ago the first thing I'd do was tear these boxes open and droll over them!  Esp. the CPU!  Hopefully I can have time to open it over the weekend.  :(

Edited by wilder on Sep. 13 2008,09:49
Profile PM 
wilder Offline
SiNFeCted

Posted: Sep. 13 2008,09:44

Quote (Byte_mE @ Sep. 13 2008,01:43)
Quote (wilder @ Sep. 12 2008,12:00)

heheheehe ...

what u gonna do with the old mb and cpu?
what is it? i need an upgrade...

my buddy here has first dibs on it.  He's gonna give me $70 bucks for the mobo+ram+cpu+licensed+HD (non-pirated hehehe) copy of Vista-premium.

I'm gonna pass the replaced mobo pack (p4-d 3.2ghz 4gb ram) down the chain.  It's going to upgrade my Linux VMware Server (athlon64 x2 2.2ghz 4gb ram); the old vmware hardware will go to upgrade my media center (opteron64 x2 1.6ghz 2GBram); and that will go to upgrade my guest PC (athlon64 2.8 1GB ram); which will then go to my buddy.

He's practically getting it free and just paying for the vista license.
Profile PM 
slatts Offline
Overlord

Posted: Sep. 13 2008,12:57

Vista.... AHH just give it to him... lol.
thats a lot of moven and reprograming just to move some boards around...

--------------
Profile PM MSN 
wilder Offline
SiNFeCted

Posted: Sep. 15 2008,12:58

watcha talking about?  I've beeing using Vista successfully for over 1 year.  Although i think i am the only one i know who has no complaints about vista!  ^^

Vista 64bit is so much more better than XP 64-bit.  And if you have 4GB ram or more, you shouldnt be using 32bit Windows anymore.

I finally installed the Mobo+CPU last night, and loaded Vista Ultimate x64 onto it.  I just got basic chipset drivers installed, Haven't install updates yet.  Will get a clean installation with all updates then take a backup.  I LOVE vista's full system backup.  You can backup to USB HD or DVD, then you can restore it completely from your Vista Setup DVD.  It really works!  save a lot of trouble.

It's only avail in Vista business edition and ultimate, sorry Home basic and Home premium dont get this.
Profile PM 
20 replies since Sep. 12 2008,09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Quick Reply: So i broke my promise...
iB Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Enable your signature?
Enable emoticons?
Track this topic?
View All Emoticons
View iB Code